It is no secret that hiring an attorney could potentially help you recover a fair settlement for your injury lawsuit in Orange County. Lawyers know what it takes to negotiate with the insurance companies and at-fault parties, and the right attorney can advise on your rights, interests, and other aspects of the case. If you are confused about choosing between Orange County personal injury lawyers, here are some things to know.
- Make your list of potential lawyers. It would help if you considered at least a couple of lawyers before choosing one. Most personal injury law firms in California have dedicated websites, while you can always ask around for references. You can also check websites like Avvo and Nolo for details.
- Schedule the first meeting. The first meeting with an attorney is crucial for taking the personal injury lawsuit forward. Lawyers usually offer a free initial consultation session, which can be your window to discuss the basics. Check if the lawyer’s office is responsive and prompt with the meeting.
- Ask about experience. There is no harm in asking questions about a lawyer’s experience and expertise. The scope of personal injury law is expansive and covers a wide range of injuries. A lawyer may know everything about dog bite lawsuits but may not have the same experience with car accident claims. Ask your questions.
- Trial experience is important. Most personal injury claims and lawsuits in OC are settled through out-of-court negotiations. However, if the insurance offer is unacceptable, your lawyer may need to go for a trial. Ensure that the selected attorney has courtroom confidence.
- Ask about the fee. You don’t have to pay a personal injury lawyer right away. Unlike family or criminal lawyers who charge an upfront fee, almost all personal injury attorneys work on a contingency fee arrangement. This means that the lawyer only gets paid after winning a settlement. It is still wise to know the fee and expected costs.
If a personal injury lawyer claims to have won big settlements for clients, they must have a good name within the industry. You can always ask for references, but make sure that you check online reviews. Read independent reviews and testimonials to know what clients have to say about their work. You can always discuss other things with the lawyer about their top settlements and landmark cases when you meet them. Hire a lawyer right away!